3.04.2010

Malevolent March: Day 4

For the month of March, I'm going to try something new for the blog, so every day I am going to spotlight a different villain from comic books, movies, TV, etc. It's mostly going to be my all-time favorite villains, with some crazy random ones thrown in there for good measure, so check back every day to see the newest villain in Malevolent March!


Continuing our look at villains that have won the Academy Award, we look back today at another recent villain, someone who is more of a force of nature than just a regular human being. In fact, in the original book from which the character comes from, it is greatly implied that he almost takes on the same attributes as Death. Today's villain: Anton Chigurh.



Anton Chigurh

No Country for Old Men (2007)


Background: Chigurh is a hired killer, one of the best in the world. One of his competitors compares him to bubonic plague in terms of lethality. Chigurh is described as having his own set or morals, however twisted they may be. Anton does not kill at random or without purpose. Anton sees himself as a hand of fate; an instrument who exacts what is supposed to happen upon those it is supposed to happen to. One of the most chilling and brilliant scenes in No Country revolves around a tense coin toss for the life of a lowly gas station attendent, simply because Chigurh believes that fate had led him there and fate would decide if the man lives or dies. Chilling.

Great Quotes of Anton Chigurh:

-Chigurh: You need to call it. I can't call it for you. It wouldn't be fair.

Gas Station Proprietor: I didn't put nothin' up.
Anton Chigurh: Yes, you did. You've been putting it up your whole life you just didn't know it. You know what date is on this coin?
Gas Station Proprietor: No.
Anton Chigurh: 1958. It's been traveling twenty-two years to get here. And now it's here. And it's either heads or tails. And you have to say. Call it.
Gas Station Proprietor: Look, I need to know what I stand to win.
Anton Chigurh: Everything.
Gas Station Proprietor: How's that?
Anton Chigurh: You stand to win everything. Call it.



-Anton Chigurh: And you know what's going to happen now. You should admit your situation. There would be more dignity in it.

Carson Wells: You go to hell.
Anton Chigurh: Let me ask you something. If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?
Carson Wells: Do you have any idea how goddamn crazy you are?
Anton Chigurh: You mean the nature of this conversation?
Carson Wells: I mean the nature of you.



-Man: [Regarding Chigurh] Just how dangerous is he?

Carson Wells: Compared to what? The bubonic plague?



-Llewelyn: If I was cuttin' deals, why wouldn't I go deal with this guy Chigurh?

Carson Wells: No no. No. You don't understand. You can't make a deal with him. Even if you gave him the money he'd still kill you. He's a peculiar man. You could even say that he has principles. Principles that transcend money or drugs or anything like that. He's not like you. He's not even like me.
Llewelyn: He don't talk as much as you, I give him points for that.

-Anton Chigurh: So this is what I'll offer - you bring me the money and I'll let her go. Otherwise she's accountable, same as you. That's the best deal you're gonna get. I won't tell you you can save yourself, because you can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment