12.28.2009

2010: A Look Ahead

Man oh man, Christmas flew by. We're only a couple days away from finally putting 2009 behind us, and moving on to what should be a much better and brighter year. I'm going to be putting a "Best of 2009" post up later this week, hopefully before the end of '09, but I thought first I would bring up some of the things to really look forward to in the upcoming year. Hit the jump for the preview.

What to Look Forward To: 2010

Comics:

- The End of Blackest Night





I've really enjoyed Blackest Night so far, don't get me wrong. But I have not enjoyed how the DC editorial mandate of a big "event" has spread it so thin with hundreds of meaningless and outright shitty tie-ins. With how good Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps have been during Blackest Night, I'm most excited about Johns and Tomasi blazing their own trail and creating what the Green Lantern books are going to be focused on now that what they've been building to for five years is over.



- Jonathan Hickman's SHIELD Mini

Here, read this synopsis:
"Beginning in ancient Egypt and running through the 1950s, the series will reveal how some of the greatest icons in history protected the Earth from threats like Galactus and the Celestials."

Damn, that sounds awesome. Honestly I'm a sucker for secret history stories, I can't get enough of them and I haven't read Marvel Project solely because I think that Brubaker's work is only good in trade form so I'm saving it for then. But this sounds so badass, plus it's written by my favorite writer of 2009 (shit, well, you got that one for free guys.) Jonathan Hickman. It's going to be solid gold.



- Mark Millar and Steve McNiven's Nemesis


I've already covered this in my post on the announcement. But trust me, it's going to be awesome.


Other comics to look forward to:

-Siege

-War of the Supermen

- DC Earth 1: Superman

- X-Men: Second Coming (giggedy)



Movies:


- Iron Man 2
 
IT'S GOING TO BE F*$&ING AWESOME! That's all. Watch the trailer.
 
- Inception
 
The new Christopher Nolan film, which is apparently set within someone's mind and is going to be a Nolan version of a murder mystery. The cast is fantastic (anchored by Leonardo DiCaprio and Marion Cotillard), and the visuals look like it's going to be top-notch film-making all the way around. But what else would you expect from the best current director in Hollywood.
 
- Kick-Ass
 

The film based on the Mark Millar comic book, it's going to be over-the-top insane violence with snarky quips and bizarre characters. Set in the "real world", a kid decides that he's going to go out and become a superhero and promptly gets beaten to hell every time he tries to fight crime. It's got Nic Cage and McLovin' in it also, so you know it can't be that bad.
 
-Captain America Revealed & Other Comic-book Movie Announcements!
 
With Captain America: The First Avenger set to start filming at the end of June, the announcement of who is going to be donning the blue chain-mail and play Captain America should be coming in the very beginning of 2010. Also, rumor has it that Christopher Nolan will be making a big announcement regarding the future of the Bat-franchise (hopefully that he's back for round 3), and there should be more announcements for the rest of the cast of the Ryan Reynolds' Green Lantern film (including who's playing Sinestro). It's going to be an exciting first quarter for comic book fans!
 
 
 
Other Films to Look Forward to:
 
- Sylvester Stallone's The Expendables
 
-Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Pt. 1
 
-Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland
 
-Scott Pilgrim Versus the World
 
-Shutter Island
 
-Book of Eli
 
 
Well, that's what I'm most looking forward to next year. There are other awesome things that are due to come out, and I'm sure that when they are getting closer I'll find more stuff to geek out over, plus there's going to be something like District 9 that comes out of nowhere and wows me completely. If there's something egregious that you think I missed, leave a comment below. Hope you have a happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment